Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Im having a few problems with my Onan generator on my versa

Customer Question

Im having a few problems with my Onan generator on my versa lift bucket truck and would like advice on converting the hydraulic pump on the end of the generator, to a 110volt electric motor that I can plug into a receptacle, when running a bucket.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm an electrician and understand electrical systems well, but I don't know much about hydraulics....I typically work in residential areas and being able to run an electric motor, from an extension cord from a house,!would be a lot quieter and a lot simpler then running a generator.
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 4 months ago.

What is the output horsepower of the onan generator?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The generator puts out 4500 watts....I realize that I only need a fraction of that to actually run the hydraulics of the bucket....I do not need the generator for electricity, just to run the hydraulics of the bucket.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was unable to read your response until now....feel free to ask any questions....the working psi of the bucket hydraulics is 1200 psi and max is 2400psi and its 1.6 gallons a minute. This is info I've been able to find online.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are a few photos of the set up....id love to eliminate the whole gasoline engine and run a 110v hydraulic motor, from an extension cord, that I can turn on and off as I need it.

If you do the power formula you would need a 6 horsepower electric motor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
6 horsepower is way too much to run just the hydraulics. 4500 divided by 746 is 6 but that is including the power needed to produce electricity at 120/240v. I want to eliminate the electrical producing aspect of the generator and just run the hydraulics. The hydraulic pump is on the end of the shaft for the generator. I sent photos with the hydraulic ratings necessary to run the machine.

Ok let me do some calculations I will get back with you

Do you know the hydraulic pump displacement?

Also we need to know how much gpm's the system needs to operate I see on the data tag operating pressure is 2000 can you see if the pump has a gpm rating on it

After doing some calculations I think you will be good with a 3.5 to 4hp motor keep in mind on the data plate where it says minimum vehicle weight for stability once you replace the generator with an electric motor your weight will be less so I would suggest getting some steel plates to get to the same weight as the generator was let me know if you have anymore questions

Any update yet?

Any update yet?