Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

IH bulldozer after changing fluid and filters and running

Customer Question

IH bulldozer after changing fluid and filters and running for three hours machine barely moves forward or backward
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check the old filter and oil for signs of metal/debris indicating an internal failure occurring. Check the suction screen to be plugged with trash or debris as well starving the pump for oil. Inspect the oil condition for discoloration or metal/debris. If found the transmission will need to be disassembled for repair. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the suction screen
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

the suction screen will be in the lower part of the transmission case. Also if the transmission checks out okay the problem can be converter which would show up as aluminum in the filter or a steering clutch problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm a good auto mechanic but this is the first I've worked on a bulldozer I have no idea where the suction screen is
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The belly pan would need to be removed to access it unless yours has the access door in the right place to be able to access it from under the machine.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Could you confirm if there is a driveshaft under the floor between the engine torque converter/flywheel housing and the transmission? If so this shaft should spin at engine RPM unless there is a converter/pump problem. check the filter for any fine metal. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no drive shaft goes from the engine right into the bell housing for the transmission
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We recently purchased the equipment and the fluid and filters were just changed. Considering we have just been had what is our worst case scenario
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

If there is no metal debris indicating an internal failure occurring then a pressure test to verify the transmission pressures will confirm if the transmission is okay. If okay then you could have faulty steering clutches causing the machine not to move.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

You could be looking at either a transmission overhaul or steering clutch replacement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any idea the cost
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I can not say for this machine due to its age and parts availability, etc. IH changed to Dresser and then Dressta.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

there are some aftermarket companies out there but this is something that you might get apart and run into parts availabilty problems.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the suction screen in the transmission and if so how much fluid should I prepare to catch
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

It is at the bottom of the transmission and the oil needs to be drained first before removing the screen. Not sure off the top of my head but it will be under 5 gallons for the transmission

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We put hydraulic transmission fluid in is that the correct fluid
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Click this link for a parts supplier.

Parts

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could the tracks be too tight
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

That would not cause no travel. The problem will be in the drive train likely steering clutches unless you find metal/debris from the transmission drain oil or filter indicating a transmission failure or low pressure etc.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hi,Did you get this resolved?