Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

The side movement swing valve on my backhoe doesn't seem

Customer Question

the side movement swing valve on my backhoe doesn't seem like it has detent in the valve. There is no center lock point and the valve is sometimes hard to move.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Construction Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the side swing control arm has no center lock and is hard to move side to side.
JA: Is there anything else the Construction Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: This is on a 416b cat backhoe.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Construction Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  catmastertech replied 3 months ago.

Are you asking about a "Side shifting" backhoe or the swing circuit?

What is the full machine (PIN) serial number of your machine?

None of the swing controls have a detent. Only a centering spring is used.

What is the problem with your machine?

Have you tried disconnecting the control linkage to see if the problem is in the linkage or in the valve?

What are you trying to "lock"? Are you saying the boom is not holding stationary when the lever is centered?