Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My name is gene, working on a case 580e, steering still

Customer Question

hello, my name is ***** ***** on a case 580e , steering still turns wheels but is intermittently harder to turn, like its loosing the power part of steering, this unit uses the main hydraulic system for pressure not a separate power steering pump, I dont think its the king pins because they have always been greased and it started all of a sudden, and I have the steering motor out to replace seals and inspect because oil was coming up column and out center of steering wheel. I did notice that 1 of the hydraulic tie rod ends is really bad and moving around. Could it be a bad hose or steering motor or? BTW the other hydraulic assemblies all work fine with plenty of power and speed . thanks.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Construction Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: I have been a journeyman mechanic for 30 years, just haven't done much hydraulics except some cylinder rebuilds, your help is greatly appreciated.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Construction Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is your serial number?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont have the unit here, but its an older one with 5 hoses going into the steering motor.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
besides taking a pressure reading at the feed line is there any damage I could find in the the steering gear that would cause loss ?or ?.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Click on this link for the steering circuit breakdown. Let me know if this is the system you have.

580E Steering system

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Here is the breakdown of the steering control valve. They are known to wear and cause hard steering but also you need to verify if the cylinders are bypassing internally. If okay look at a possible pump or steering control valve issue

Steering control valve

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Also be sure that the front axle hubs move freely and are not binding causing your hard steering. If okay and the cylinders are okay and the pump is putting out good flow and pressure, the steering valve is likely worn and in need of rebuild or replacement. Let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, the steering gear has 5 hoses and no power steering pump, it uses the main hydraulic system for pressure.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will check king pins by disconnecting tie rods/hydraulic rams and manually turning them, also wanted to say that steering always works and never slips but just needs more effort than usual, and it started all of a sudden.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

If the king pins are okay and the cylinder is not bypassing the seals internally (check deadheaded one direction and see if oil bypasses the opposite port.) , and the steering pump is good it is likely a worn control valve bypassing pressure internally.