Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

I have a 10-30 and it is over heating- I have taken the

Customer Question

I have a 10-30 and it is over heating- I have taken the first radiator off and cleaned both and still it is overheating. Is there something else I can try before bringing in service? Your help is much appreciated. Jeff
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

MAke and model? 10-30 is what??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry I thought it was a sullair only. This unit was in service for me for about 10 years engine rebuilt and I ran it for another 5000 hours then I moved into a facility with a unit already in place- ^ years later I have hooked up this unit. It had set on my dock for that time. It was serviced in the year I took it out of service- there isn't 500 hours on this oil. I have cleaned the radiators and I can pass light through both they look clean. I am just looking for any other answer to the overheat. I run a large sandblast unit but never had issue with overheating- I have a little more line in this shop but one less unit that did use air so I really think my cfm demand is lower. Hope that helps thanks

Fan belt not slipping from being old? with engine off can you turn the blade? Should be tight enough blade does not turn under the belt. If radiators are clean, and fan belt is tight, I would remove thermostat and run engine and check coolant circulation in the radiator. With thermostat out, circulation should be rapid in radiator top tank. If not, water pump problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oil cooled unit 2 radiators both oil- no fan belt fan is direct drive on motor- I do think it is a circulation problem in high probability I just cant figure out how to make an assessment of how the oil is moving through the system. There is a sight glass in the rear that from what I can determine is showing the oil returning from the air separator. Where I had this in my old shop honestly I didn't even know for all those years this sight glass was there so I have no reference to what the flow should look like.

!! No bubbles should be present, should show , need to have a solid stream of oil, any continuous show of bubbles could indicate the oil is low or the suction is pulling in air.

With oil cooled system , you may have to install a flow meter to check the movement. Have you ran a heat gun type thermometer on the system, to indicate any unusual hot spots, that would indicate a restriction? Harbor Freight, around $30.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No bubbles in that sight glass just looks like the water flowing over one of those doctor office fountains on the wall not a lot of volume but I have no reference. I will get that from harbor- I have 2 lines that come out of back radiator but they exit at one spot and split. One goes to oil filter the other to sump. One to sump is hot to touch one to filter is cool- That can't be normal? I have to run out I'll get that gauge Curtis appreciate the help Jeff

Maybe a lack of circulation through filter.??

I see question is still open. Did you find hot spot?