Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Can't find my Deere manual and need to calibrate my new

Customer Question

Can't find my john Deere manual and need to calibrate my new tcu for my 450j early serial number
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Matt, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. For Calibration without Service Advisor:

remove the cover from the transmission TCU which when you are sitting in the seat it is on your left side in the rear.

1 Warm up machine till transmission oil is at least 100 degrees f

2 Make a reference mark next to throttle lever is at 1500 RPMs you will need this during the cal.

3 Turn Key Off

4 Press and hold decelerator pedal down

Hold CAL button down on TCU and start engine

5 Release CAL after engine starts your software number and machine model number will appear after this a P will appear indicating your park lever is in the up locked position

Your Check Service Code Light Will Begin Flashing

6 If your software number was 600 4E will be flashing on your monitor display wait for it to stop flashing if your software is not 600 disregard this step

7 Lower park lever the monitor will flash 4E wait for the 4E to stop flashing

The lever and pedals must be moved slowly trough there entire travel holding at detent or stop until monitor changes

8 With engine speed control at low idle remove your foot from the decelerator slowly move the engine speed control to fast idle and hold there till 4E goes out, return throttle lever to low idle.

9 The monitor will now display 267

10 Press your speed control up then down the 7 will go out

11 The monitor will display 26 Slowly move steer lever to the right until the detent is felt do not move past the detent into counter rotate then do the exact same thing to the left the 6 will go out

12 Now just a 2 will be on the monitor move throttle control lever to the mark you made at 1500 RPM now slowly move the forward reverse lever fully forward past the detent to the mechanical stop.

13 Now the monitor will display 2Lr after 15-70 seconds the left track will move and stop the L will go out next in the same amount time the right track will move and the r will go out

14 Do not move lever until the return FNR to neutral light starts flashing

15 When the FNR light starts flashing move the lever to neutral

16 Move engine speed control to low idle

17 If FrFr are displayed the calibration was good if not repeat calibration

For this part of the calibration you will need a lot of room the tractor will will need to travel both forward and reverse at high speed with out turning I would say you will need 200 feet both directions if you have a ripper you can lift it off the ground and do this test or securely block the machine up in the air if you don't have lots of room

18 Move speed lever to full throttle

19 Press hold the speed control switch up for 5 seconds to ensure max speed is set

20 Hold down decelerator pedal move lever to forward slowly release the decelerator both of the F's will go out when each track reaches maximum speed depress the decelerator move lever to neutral

21 Move the lever to revers and slowly release the decelerator both of the r" will go out when maximum speed is reached

22 Depress the decelerator and shift to neutral move engine speed control to neutral

23 Press CAL on the TCU once if 1111 shows Calibration was GOOD if not repeat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You gave me info for tier 3 this is a tier 2
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Early serial number j as stated in my original message
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found my disc with the proper steps
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the update Matt. So you no longer need help? Let me know and I will get this closed out for you.