catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.

WPearl, Pearl, We are running a Cat 235C excavator that is

Customer Question

JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Pearl, We are running a Cat 235C excavator that is getting too hot. We have 2 of these machines in nice condition but one of them is getting hot and needs to be idled down every 20-30 minutes of heavy digging or it will overheat and blow out the coolant over flow. We have blown out the radiator, changed the rad cap and pressure tested the system. All seams fine. not sure where to go next. Also the hydraulic fluid temp is rising along with the engine temp.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Not shure as of now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 months ago.
Some of the things I like to check begins with the air flow.
Verify the fan is not slipping and the pulleys are not worn out. Also inspect clearance around the fan to the shroud. Usually one inch is the normal clearance. Seal any gaps that might prevent all the air being pulled from anywhere other than through radiator and oil cooler.
Since both the oil and coolant are heating up, is it possible the pump pressures are set too high. I know many people here always kept turning up the pressure at every chance or complaint.
If this has the 3306 engine, they have had issues with the water pump impeller failing or slipping.
Check temperature drop at thermostat and water pump inlet to see if you are at the correct drop of 10 degrees. More or less indicates a problem.
If you need more help on this, please include the full machine serial number with your reply.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We did have the water pump replaced 4 years ago.The serial number is ***** 1291. I believe pressures are set normal. Would pulling the thermostat help? I will check the air gaps in the air flow spaces.

New or old water pumps can have a slipping impeller. That is why you should check temperatures.

If five or less degrees difference, that would be a sign the water is not flowing. The radiator would also be too cool with a larger temperature difference.

Never operate a CAT engine without a thermostat. It is designed to block the bypass passage when it opens. The engine will always overheat if you leave out the thermostat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** try to rule out all you have given and get back to you.

Ok, thanks. I will be looking for your reply.