Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 2001 T190 with 2150 hrs that bogs down under load

Customer Question

Hey Dan
All new filters
New injection pump
Drive belt has been adjusted
New fuel line from tank to primer bulb
Is it
Possible that the primer bulb could be restricting flow as its
Pre fuel filter although I have cleaned it out and confirmed
Good flow
There is one valve that has a spring that has come
Out of what looks like a valve seal
Would that be the issue
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just checked and the hours are actually 1853
And sorry about calling you Dan but that was the name
It said I would
Be talking to
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 6 months ago.

Hello, just to confirm, are you saying the engine stalls out when under a hard load, as in RPM's begin to drop? If yes, it's most likely a fuel delivery problem. It's a little tougher to troubleshoot when the engine is just slightly stalling, and recovers quickly when the load is released. It's a little easier to figure out when it get so bad that the engine dies.

Two very common causes with Bobcat machines with this problem is 1) strainer on the end of the pick up tube inside the tank is getting clogged by debris in the tank, and 2) pick up tube inside the tank is broken off where it connects to the elbow fitting at the top of the tank. With the latter, when the pick up tube breaks off, it will run relatively fine with a full tank but begins to labor to run, even dies, when the fuel level drops, doesn't really sound like your problem. The other cause, strainer on end of pick up tube clogged by debris, typically causes the engine to stall when under hard load, when much fuel is demanded but it can't be delivered because of the restriction.

The easiest way to confirm pick up tube strainer clog is the primer bulb. If it's good and flexible, not hard as a rock from age, if you can keep pushing the machine hard under load and actually make the engine stall and die, quickly jump out of the cab and fling open the rear door, check to see if the primer bulb is sucked flat. If yes, strainer is clogged.

Of course there are other engine components that could cause this problem, failing lift pump for example, but the most common cause is a problem with the pick up tube or strainer. If I can't confirm the pick up tube or strainer is the problem for sure, before I start replacing other components, I always go to the pick up tube first, pull it out and inspect it, even though it's a PITA to do, it's just that common. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pick up tube is still good
I have checked that
There was not any strainer on the end of it
I pulled it out on Sunday and
Then replaced the fuel line
From the top of the tank to the primer bulb
The engine
Does NOT stall out completely and
Shut off it just does
Down until I ease off the joy sticks and
Then it picks back up
It does this while in motion and
Not even with any kind of load in the bucket
I do not need to be even operating the bucket for it to happen
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have added a picture of the spring around the valve stem

Yep, that's a spring for one of the intake valve stem seals. At worst it would cause that valve stem to allow a bit of oil to go through the seal into the intake causing a little white oil smoke in the exhaust, wouldn't cause the problem you're having. A bit tricky to replace that valve guide seal without pulling the head, hardly worth the trouble unless it gets really bad.

Not sure what year model your machine is, does it have the external fuel shut down solenoid with linkage connecting it to the shut down lever?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's kind of what I figured that's why I haven't bothered with it right now
It does not seem to affect the running of the machine and beside I do not want to repair that at this stage if I can not fix this bogging down issue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The year is identified in my original question but it is a 2001 with a 4 cylinder kubota V2003 motor

Sorry about that, you did state that, a "well duh" on my part, right.

I'm guessing a 2001 would have the external shut down solenoid with linkage. If yes, you need to make sure that it's pulling the run lever fully into the run position. If it's not the engine will labor for fuel under load.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is doing so
The machine was running great until a couple of months ago and it went to shop and they installed a used injection pump and it fixed the exact same issue that I have now
So it was running great until last weekend when it started the same issue which was bogging down so I purchased and installed a reman injection pump and changed all the filters and fuel line from tank to primer bulb and even adjusted the drive belt all with no joy
Now it's not as bad as before but it's still doing it

Sounds like you taken all the steps, and then some, to resolve the problem. But from what you're describing it still sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue. I'm not one to fix a machine by simply throwing parts at it, I prefer knowing a component is bad before I replace it, but it sounds like you've gone through the whole system aside from the lift pump and possibly a problem with the bleeder valve on the injection pump. I'm running out of ideas myself here???

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The bleeder valve on the pump is a new one with the new pump and the lift pump I believe was replaced the last time this issue came about
( if we are talking about the same
Part )
I guess my next step would be to put a fuel gauge on each pressure line
From pump to injector and
Test the pressure
I have not ruled out the possibility of a bad injector
I was using the
Machine continuously for about 90 mins to 2 hours in a wooded lot behind
My house when this happened and it was a gradual failure and it was very difficult to get it out of the woods and back to the shop when it finally became to bad to even drive it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it possible that either low or bad hydraulic fluid could be causing this
Last time it was in the shop they completed tested the hydraulic system and it was all fine

Sorry about the delay in reply, the dog chose to take an inopportune time (for me) to take a poop walk. Nothing that I can think of on a Bobcat hydraulic system would make the engine stall like this. I'm really a wits end with this. Of course, I'm not there checking it myself, viewing all the situations, but from what you stated you've pretty much gone through everything, that's why I'm at wits end. Could it be injectors? Not really seen injectors cause this before, that doesn't mean it's not possible though. But if injectors are failing you'll typically see other signs, hard starting, white smoke, stuff like that.

Just to confirm, on that bleeder valve, it has a round knurled knob to open the bleeder valve to assist priming the fuel to injection pump when changing filter. For normal run position the knob should be screwed in fully clockwise. We have the valve in that position, right?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct it is screwed all the way in as I used it to bleed the system
I too am at my wits end that's why I'm here lol
I guess I will have to go back to dealership that ripped me a new one last time
I may find another dealer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This pic identifies the bleeder screw you are referring to

Yep, that's it. Don't reckon much else I can do to help, I do hope you get it sorted out. Don't bother giving me a rating and you won't be paying me anything because I really didn't earn anything here. Best wishes bro!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok sounds good to meYou have been great thanks for your help
Have a good night

You too, cheers!