Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

Cat 725 articulated truck jumping out of gear. We dropped

Customer Question

Cat 725 articulated truck jumping out of gear. We dropped oil and replaced filters. Know as we drive,
it will go through all the gears, but when we stop and put it in nutral it whants to go forward.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

No neutral, goes forward, what happens when you go to reverse, does transmission act like it drags or locks up? With no neutral, and trys to drag in reverse, the forward clutch pack is not releasing. Can be from a failed forward clutch, that does not release because of broken clutch plates. What kind of debris was found when the oil was drained? If no debris or metal particles, it can be a shift solenoid that is not dropping pressure to the forward clutch pack.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No particels were found, as the truck sits in neutral it keeps bumping forward. Also to get it going the rpms have to be high, then as its shifting through gears it seems to be ok untill you let of the gas and then it will go into neutral

Has the transmission charge pump suction been checked? Pump may be sucking air.

Sorry, I have a DR appointment, I will opt out and let other experts help.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Please post the serial number of your machine. Test for power in and out of the shift controller and to the transmission solenoids if there is no metal/debris indicating an internal problem or failure occurring and the oil is not burnt. Look for damage in the harness and connector pins between the controller and the shift solenoids. Let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sn Afx00169
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Any gains or information on my initial checks?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Did you still need further help with this?