catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.

Looking diagram of the 977 Traxcavator steering clutch

Customer Question

Looking for a diagram of the 977 Traxcavator steering clutch control valve. Long story but we got a tree up into something and the machine will not go into gear. A bunch of fluid came out and we think it is the steering fluid?
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should know?
Customer: We have to get it moved because water is rising and it will be under water by this tomorrow if don't get it going
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 4 months ago.

Steering control does not drive the tractor, it only stop the drive to the track you select.

I would believe you have damaged the tractor linkage and the transmission control valve is not returning to neutral.

If transmission is not in neutral when starting, the safety valve prevents the transmission engaging any gear.

Follow the attached file to check you transmission control linkages for correct settings.

If you need more help, please post the full tractor serial number with your reply.