Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

We have a john deere 310d backhoe , the forward drive works

Customer Question

We have a john deere 310d backhoe , the forward drive works in all gears, but the reverse will no engage.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: the reverse shuttle lever o the column only travels so far. when I look at the lever on the bottom of the backhoe it looks ok but will not engage, tried tapping it with a hammer , when the Backhoe is shut down, no luck
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: the hydraulic filters have not been changed for some time, and the level is ok but we need to add fluid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

This is manual shifter for f/r not the electric shuttle shift ? The lever goes direct to the reverser unit and as you know, that is where the shift is made. Have you removed the linkage from the lever and tried to shift the lever manually? The shift is made by the rotating shaft opening the inner ports.

If the lever is moving, the reverse clutch should be engaging, if not, the problem has to be in the shuttle.

Some units have electric shift and have solenoids, If it has solenoids, then likely a bad solenoid valve. See link.

Did you see my response/