Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a bobcat 643 that won't start JA: We'll do all we can

Customer Question

I have a bobcat 643 that won't start
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Construction Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It started fine this morning drove it 150 feet , I shit it down for 3 minutes got in to start it and it won't fire
JA: Is there anything else the Construction Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It is getting fuel and smoke when turning over
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Construction Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

What is the engine make? If you loosen one of the high pressure fuel lines at injector nozzle is the fuel squirting when cranking? Not just dribbling? If just dribbling, the fuel is not open to the injectors. Is the fuel solenoid opening?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kubota 905-e, the fuel it squirting
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It looks like fuel solenoid it not hooked up

Squirting. OK< Are the glow plugs heating up? Is the fuel quality ok, not having gas added to the diesel? Has fuel solenod been disconnected for a while? How do you kill engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It appears glow plugs heat up, doesn't look like the solenoid have ever been in play, I shut it down by pulling a fuel shut odd lever

Ok, then you don't need the solenoid. With smoke and fuel to the cylinders, seems like it should be running! will it fire on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope won't start on starting fluid either

Remove the rocker cover and see if the valves are moving.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just did they are

Seems unlikely that the injection would have gotten out of time. You have checked the fuel quality, and it appears to be clean diesel? With working glow plugs, fuel being injected, valves working, I have to assume the air inlet is open, the engine won't try on starting fluid. ??? Is fuel solenoid inside the injection pump housing on the left end of the pump? Remove it and see if engine runs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will try removing the solenoid in the morning, but when I spray the starting fluid it seems like it try's the motors cranks harder and the smoke out the exhaust it black

And no chance there is gas in the fuel??

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No gas in fuel as far as I can tell, just dyed off road diesel

OK> Check the solenoid, you may find it is just a dummy and has not operating tip on it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do, any chance the bolts on the cam shaft loosen up and the timing slipped ?

Seems unlikely, but something has changed!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok removed the solenoid and still won't start

No change, will not fire with starting fluid, is getting fuel to the cylinders, has smoke when cranking. Everything points t timing being off. Makes no sense.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's my thought too, going to winch it on a trailer tomorrow and haul it in,

I would be curious as to what they find!

Did you get a report yet?