Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a throttle problem with 311c. Won't rev up or switch

Customer Question

Hi, I have a throttle problem with 311c. Won't rev up or switch off, I think I've lost power to actuator, any thoughts welcome
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dan, My name is***** this a Cat 311c? Start by testing all fuses for power on both sides with the keyswitch on. Check for power in and out of the keyswitch in all positions as well as the battery relay in the battery box. Let me know the results and your serial number.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dan, yes it's a cat 311cu, serial number pad00578. I think I have already been through all the fuses in battery door. What does the battery relay look like? How do I test it?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dan, I see that my reply I posted is missing for some reason. The battery relay is inline and connects the battery ground cables to power the accessories in the cab.. Looks like a round metal solenoid with two large posts and then the small signal posts from the start switch. Test for power from the key switch at the signal wire in the on position.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll have a go at testing that tomorrow.
If the problem is that there's no power getting to the actuator would it be ok to take a new 24v supply up to it?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
It is activated by key switch power but connects battery ground so for test purposes connect the two grounds together. If it starts you will have to manually shut it down by moving the fuel shut off lever. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dan I've tested the battery, well there's two both have got a thick red cable going to them and one has a yellow coming off and one has a white. Should both terminals come live when key is on? Both reds are live but not getting power on yellow or white
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
I am not understanding what wiring you are describing. I thin to avoid confusion can you upload pictures? Use the paperclip icon above.