Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Experience:  Construction equipment repair technician since 1986, JLG certified, Shop manager since 2006.

I have a bobcat T190 skidloader with a kubota V2706 or V2607

Customer Question

I have a bobcat T190 skidloader with a kubota V2706 or V2607 (?) with 3900 hrs. on it. It starts and operates, has lots of power and no leaks. On the downside it smokes a light gray diesel smelling smoke which goes away when reaching operating temp. It runs rough at idle and lower RPM but seems to smooth out around 1700 to 2100 RPM. It will indicate a diesel leak into crankcase at about a quart after an hour of operation. It had a moderate blowby at the oil filler when engine is running and the cap is removed. It does no appear to be burning any oil, exhaust pipe is black but with a dry powdery soot. I have tried bleeding the fuel injectors and the two toward the front of the engine seem to have little effect when open and engine is running but fuel runs out. as the engine will be difficult to access, what would be the most likely cause of these engine symptoms. Jerry
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jerry, likely a late 2000's model machine, say '07 or up with a V2607T-DI Tier 4 engine. They placed the injectors underneath the valve cover to locate injection nozzle in the center of the combustion chamber for improved burn (again, that tier 4 crap). From what you're describing, only moderate crankcase pressure at the oil fill port with cap off and engine running, engine starts/runs good, good power, I really doubt you have a worn out engine. Leaking connections at the injectors, supply and return ports, would dump diesel into the crankcase, but sounds like you've been running the engine with the valve cover off to "bleed" the injectors, if you had a leaky connection I would think you would have spotted that. So, what would I do if I were you, with 3900 hrs on the engine and this marvelous (not) ULSD fuel we are required to use now days, I would pop the four injectors out and take them to an injection shop to have them pop tested. In most cases they can tell if an injector is healthy or if it's getting a bit sickly and would cause running and leakage problems, and it typically doesn't empty your wallet to have them tested, for just a little coin you'll either find your problem or know to look elsewhere. That's what I typically do. I hope this helps, let me know what you find.