Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 2008 Bobcat s175. I had a bad Alternator last year

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Bobcat s175. I had a bad Alternator last year and replaced it on a job site with one from Advance auto as there was not a Bobcat dealer near. Since, I have replaced this alternator 3 times, as it is under warrenty I continue to go back to Advance. I have seen no difference in the Advance Alternator and dealer Alternator.
What is the cause for 4 Alternators in a little over a year?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
What goes wrong? Alternator just quits charging? Does it overheat from constancy putting out high amps? Does it boil the battery? Typical alternator failure is due to a bad ground, that keeps the alternator from ever cutting the charge rate back, so it over heats and destroys itself.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Alternators go bad. I when checked independently from the battery I very little to no amperage.
I do not know if it over heats. This seems to be the most likely, how would I check for overheating?
It does not boil the battery that I know of. The battery operates as it should, it holds and receives charge at normal rates.
Check the ground wires and if you have a voltmeter check the alternator output, at varying times to see if it is cutting back, It should charge at a higher rate when engine is just started, and at a much lower rate after it has equalized the battery.