Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

I have a 2008 Bobcat s175. I had a bad Alternator last year

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Bobcat s175. I had a bad Alternator last year and replaced it on a job site with one from Advance auto as there was not a Bobcat dealer near. Since, I have replaced this alternator 3 times, as it is under warrenty I continue to go back to Advance. I have seen no difference in the Advance Alternator and dealer Alternator.
What is the cause for 4 Alternators in a little over a year?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
What goes wrong? Alternator just quits charging? Does it overheat from constancy putting out high amps? Does it boil the battery? Typical alternator failure is due to a bad ground, that keeps the alternator from ever cutting the charge rate back, so it over heats and destroys itself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Alternators go bad. I when checked independently from the battery I very little to no amperage.
I do not know if it over heats. This seems to be the most likely, how would I check for overheating?
It does not boil the battery that I know of. The battery operates as it should, it holds and receives charge at normal rates.
Check the ground wires and if you have a voltmeter check the alternator output, at varying times to see if it is cutting back, It should charge at a higher rate when engine is just started, and at a much lower rate after it has equalized the battery.