Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I can not get my Bobcat 873 to start. Fuel flow is good.

Customer Question

Hi. I can not get my Bobcat 873 to start. Fuel flow is good. Glow plugs are good. It will turn over and even fire up with diesel safe starting fluid, but will not run.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Hi. I can not get my Bobcat 873 to start. Fuel flow is good. Glow plugs are good. It will turn over and even fire up with diesel safe starting fluid, but will not run.
JA: Is there anything else the Heavy Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Do you have any BICS controller codes? What is your serial number?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dan. The only code is ES-6. Serial ####-##-####Model 873
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Check for power at your fuel shutoff solenoid with the key on and cranking. If there is no power there. Click on this link for the shop manual in PDF.Manual
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
That means no sensor signal. Click below
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I read the ES-6 code, but that has occurred before and doesnt keep it from running. Fuel flow is good to all cylinders/injectors. I cannot find the fuel shutoff solenoid, but even if I could, it already seems to have good fuel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you offer any other advice please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Dan, the answers you provided did not solve the problem. Can you offer any more advise, please? Again, good fuel flow all the way to injectors, good glow plugs, will start with starting fluid, but will not run.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Are you getting any signs of smoke from the exhaust while cranking over? Please give me the complete engine make/model number from the ID tag so I can be sure to give you the correct information for your fuel system. For starters check for leaks sucking in air and restrictions between the tank and pump. Install a clear hose inline to watch for bubbles present. Also try to run a hose from a separate container and bleed the fuel system to see if it will start. The shutoff solenoid will be mounted to/connected to the injection pump. Let me know