Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

What's the service code 0455.01 mean? Its on a CAT 525B grapple

Customer Question

What's the service code 0455.01 mean? Its on a CAT 525B grapple skidder
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is***** with me while I pull up that fault
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
455 Tong Close Pressure Sensor
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Check the wiring at the sensor and if the wiring checks OK replace the sensor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about the code 081? Were having trouble after it gets warmed up it keeps popping outa gear?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
That code didnt post for some reason. This was all the site posted for information.CustomerWhat's the service code 0455.01 mean? Its on a CAT 525B grapple skidder Ill look it up now. What other numbers are with the codes?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
81 is indicating a fault in the transmission control circuit. See if you can get more numbers from the display ot get plugged into it with Cat ET for full fault information. Let me know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What's plugged into Cat ET mean? An those are the only numbers that show up. But its popping outa gear bad it runs good till bout 10 or 11am then it'll start popping outa gear like crazy like then when it starts climbing it gets worse. Where is the transmisson control circuit located?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Cat ET is the Caterpillar diagnostic software that is used to troubleshoot Cat equipment. You would need the laptop, software and communication adapter.The transmission control circuit is the complete control electrical circuit. 81 just says there is a problem with the transmission control which we already know but it does not help us as to where. Check the wiring and connectors around the transmission for damage or corrosion or loose connections.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
If that is ok it is possible the transmission shift controller is faulty. You would need to test for power in and out in each gear position. I also recommend checking for burnt or discolored oil in the transmission and checking the filter and suction screen for metal debris indicating an internal failure occurring
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where could I get the Cat ET plug in thing at? So I just plug it in n plug it into my laptop? Do you come to jobs an do mechanic work? We had waters equipment come look at it. An they didn't know what he was doin we took everything off n did all the work he sat in his truck n told us wat to do. An put a screen in it the size of a crayon thats all he dun an still charged us $2005! An said it was fixed next day we came to work an started it up an it ran good till around lunch then started popping outa gear. We really don't know nothing bout CAT this is are first one. But if I new someone that had the Cat et the thing that plugs it n shows whats trouble shooting I'd hire them to come out
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Soon as we put it in gear it jumps out in forwards every gear an in reverse every gear
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Click on this link for the complete Cat ET setup I found available. New it would be double this price.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Before investing money onto that software check the harness for the transmission, filters and have the pressures tested in case this is mechanical and you have low pressures causing this. Click on this link for the troubleshooting information.Troubleshooting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alrighty thank you so much you helped out a lot more than the other mechanic. I'll message you in the morning an let you know Wats goin on sir
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.
Pleasure to help Brandon. That troubleshooting manual should help get you going. You can get test gauges at most hydraulic shops. Use a guage double what you want to read for pressure for the most accuracy so for the transmission testing around a 400-500PSI liquid filled gauge will be fine.