Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

I own a 2008 s185 Bobcat it has 984 hrs it originally

Customer Question

Hello, I own a 2008 s185 Bobcat it has 984 hrs it originally had a code 14 03 changed fuel relay ,solenoid fuse and even checked fuel pick up line all good now . Battery was dead jumped it and now have a new code it says front rod short to battery? Any suggestions doesn't hold charge must be grounding out somewhere. Thanks Mike
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Fieldtech59 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, just what is the code you're getting for the front rod solenoid? It just helps me to know what we're discussing. Without knowing the code, it could be either a rubbed spot in the harness causing a short circuit, which can be a PITA to find, or it could simply be one of the proportional solenoids is going south and shorted out internally. The first thing I'd try is disconnecting the two proportional solenoid valves and swap the connectors, see if the code now reads a problem with the rear base solenoid, or stays a problem with the front rod solenoid.
The auxiliary circuit proportional solenoid valves are located at the top of the main control valve. I don't have a pic for the S185 valve, but here's one for a T190, should be very similar. The solenoids are the two coils shown in the top of the pic with the tags (9 volt) on the coil pigtails.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would have to get code in machine tomorrow battery died shortly after being charged so I would have to charge it again to obtain the code the info I received about the front rod short to battery was from the right hand instrument panel the one on the left should give me the code. When I try to start it I get rapid clicking / tick like sounds but no crankslike something is shorting out . Do you think maybe I should isolate by pulling the negative terminal put a test light on it to see if it lights if so I guess there is a short. I could then start pulling fuses to at least isolate my process to whatever the fuse connects with ?
Well, that's a good question. If the fault is in fact related to a short circuit in the front rod circuit, if the problem is in the wiring harness it's going to be tough to isolate (remove from harness/wiring) as the front rod and rear base solenoid connect straight to the main controller (ECM). Just a guess, but assuming it's simply a solenoid coil going south (which is not uncommon), maybe just disconnect the two proportional solenoid valve coils at the main control valve and see if that makes the short circuit go away. If not, likely a problem in the harness somewhere, which I hope not, that's stuff is a B-i-itch to find.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will get to it tomorrow , keep you posted. Thanks have a good evening
I already have a full day scheduled tomorrow, be back on here tomorrow evening. Hopefully we can sort this out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sounds good I'm in no rush
No worries, I'll be around.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello sir, good afternoon codes
H 2605 and H 2705 no rush. When you get to it . Thanks Mike
Yep, those are codes for faults with both aux proportional solenoid coils I mentioned earlier. I don't have the diagrams for your model, but I wager it's no different than other Bobcat models. If so, both solenoids connect directly to the main controller at the J2 connector, front rod should be wire 4330 going to pin 3 of J2, front base should be wire 4340 going to pin 21 of J2. Again, I think I'd first start with disconnecting the two solenoids and see what you get. You'll probably get a code of front rod and front base open circuit, but we want to see the short to battery go away. Maybe check the ohms resistance of the two coils, should be somewhere around 3.3 ohm. Can't really test the voltage of those two circuits as they're both PWM circuits. Maybe with ignition off check the ohm value of 4330 and 4340, see if there's a discrepancy. I don't know what the values would be, Bobcat keeps the info about that main controller top secret. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will let you , away at another job I return on Monday afternoon. Thanks so much for your help. Keep you posted
No worries, I haven't seen this problem before myself so I'm interested in trying to noodle it out. These machines always find a new way to throw a curve ball.