Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a 2013 CAT 299D. It has major starting issues. Wont start even with normal jump s

Customer Question

I have a 2013 CAT 299D. It has major starting issues. Wont start even with normal jump starting methods and wont start even after running it and immediately trying to restart even thought the battery is fully charged. Wont even turn over.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Hi Robert, My name is***** will be glad to help. All those symptoms point to a poor ground or Main battery connection Verify all cables and terminal ends are crimped tight and free of corrosion. If ok remove the grounds and clean the terminals and any rust/paint from the chassis to be sure they are making good connection. also check the starter posts for turning or moving in the starter or solenoid causing a poor connection in the starting circuit. For test purposes add more ground between the engine and chassis frame and let me know the results.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 months ago.
Test power in and out of the ignition switch when this occurs as well as checking all your fuses and relays. It is possible you have a faulty relay as well. Let me know