Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

My name is ***** *****. I have a 1974 JD skid steer with

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** *****. I have a 1974 JD skid steer with a 4 cyl wisc engine i cant seem to get a spark plugs where toast so I replaced.. tried ether in spark tried distributor wire- no spark that I can tell
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i dont know how the coil works, but maybe that is the issue?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. The coil has a power and ground. Test for power with the key on to the coil and then the ground side gets ground signal from the distributor as it turns so connecting and disconnecting the ground to a good ground with power on the + side should fire the coil. Check with a spark tester or grounding the plug wire to view the spark. Or do the same with the engine cranking. If the coil tests good you could have a fault distributor if you have confirmed power to the coil, the coil is good bit wont fire.