Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a 267 Cat skid steer

Customer Question

I have a 267 Cat skid steer it's been a good machine but today I was digging out a driveway to pour and all of a sudden it just shut off I restarted it but as soon as I let go of the key it stopped again any idea what may be causing this I wanted some advice before going into the electrical and doing some trouble shooting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just as I said after running the machine for approx. 3/4 of an our it just quit and will not stay running unless you hold the key in start position and I don't want to wreck the starter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** this a straight, B series, or C series Machine? Do you have a serial number?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is just a straight 267 serial# *****
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Click on this link for the diagrams and see section B 7 of the diagram. Check your start relay and fuel shutdown relay and harness/connector pins. They are the same and can be swapped for test purposes. Check for a faulty relay and for loss of power to the fuel shutoff solenoid. If there is power to the fuel shutoff but the solenoid wont stay engaged, you have a faulty solenoid.Troubleshooting
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Dan, I tried to get on the link you sent me but all it wanted to do was change my computer change search engines and clean my windows once I disallowed it the site went into freeze mode I was less than pleased.This morning I needed the machine so called my local Cat dealer Tormont in Owen Sound the Mechanic told me to do some tests including checking for power at the run position on the key switch which there wasn't I hotwired in a toggle switch it has gotten us through the day my new switch is supposed to be in tomorrow morning I want to thank you for your input and let you decide if you helped me and base your charge on that. Frank
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update. That is odd as the mediafire site is a file sharing site to allow me to share manuals, documents, and troubleshooting information.I have never had any trouble with the site. It is possible you might have your security settings set so strict that it just flagged you that it is an unknown site and do you wish to procede? That is common and a message from your antivirus protection. It will do that on any file download. I assure you it is a secure site and the complete schematics are there. I was field service for Cat. I find it easier giving the schematics unless I can get on the phone with someone to speed the process. So as of now you only bypassed the problem and still have not diagnosed it. Did you need help with that? If not let me know. I have gotten paid nothing for my time assisting so far. Experts only get a percentage of the question value on positive feedback and accepted answers. until that happens your deposit sits with the site. I have the information I have provided. I will disable the links to the schematics etc until I hear back on what you would like to do. Ill be glad to help you diagnose this if you need the help. If not let me know I can send this for a refund.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Dan it could be my security settings I have had viruses before and the guy that fixes my computer may have it set a little high but I would sooner have that than a computer that doesn't work. Dan I have a new switch coming in the morning and from the way things look that should fix the problem I will let you know if it does Thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update. Keep me posted. If it does not I will be happy to help you with further testing. I will be away for most of the day tomorrow but will reply back on my next available login if more help is needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Dan I put the new switch in and bingo it works like new started up and didn't stop the old switch does not click to the detents like the new one I figure it must have been buggering up for some time possibly got hot at one point and weakened the spring I really don't know but all's well that ends well Thanks again Dan I would like to talk to you some time friend on friend basis maybe shoot me a text some time you have nothing else to do hoping to hear from you.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the update Frank. Glad it is resolved and it is a pleasure to help.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more help in the future.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Dan I have been asked to rate your answer since I did not use your advice and could not get on your link I don't want to rate your answer cause if I put that I didn't use your advise it is a black mark against you I don't want to do that and if I rate your answer as good I pay for some thing I didn't use and I don't want to do that either! please tell me what you think I should do
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Just dont rate at all...Experts only get a percentage of the question value on positive feedback and accepted answers Otherwise your deposit sits with the site. Ill send this over to customer service.