Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I am getting (4) codes on my Volvo MC85C skid steer. C126,

Customer Question

I am getting (4) codes on my Volvo MC85C skid steer. C126, C127, C701, and D703. Any ideas?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help What is the serial number and symptoms you are having with these codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
S/N GEO085SSCB1644287. Doesn't always crank, but always will start, eventually. Put charger on battery, and it seemed to help, but not eliminate start problem. Once it starts, it runs and operates just fine. Have stored the Skid Steer inside over winter, and this was at first use this year, with no prior codes. Code information keeps alarming. Can you diagnose and help with clearing the codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One other funny thing. I try to start skidsteer, turn key to crank & nothing happens. Once I hear the electric fuel pump running, machine will then crank. Machine has original battery, so wondering if this could be a potential problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hi Erick. Thanks for the update. A faulty battery is a big problem for these machines as they have an ECU storing memory and software, etc. Low voltage has a negative toll on the electrical system and can actually cause electrical component failure as well as voltage spikes from jump starting frequently. I would first start with Replacing the battery and recommend using the dealer battery or Cat, Komatsu Equivalent for longevity. Most of the aftermarket batteries you might get two years out of them.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.
Also clean all battery terminals and connections between the battery and starter and test the alternator with a volt meter that is is charging around 2 volts above battery voltage with engine running. Once the voltage problem is corrected, see if you still have active codes. I also found a PDF service book for you for under 50.00 that covers all your codes, schematics, specs, and repair info. If you are interested the link is below. Let me knowManual