Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Certified.
30708357

I have a cat engine in my rv and have recently started smelling

Customer Question

I have a cat engine in my rv and have recently started smelling a heavy oil smell in the rear of the coach. I can see some blow by oil on my mud flap but it looks about the same as when the coach was new. I have about 600 on the engine. Any ideas as we are 2000 miles from home.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Normally the oil smell is coming from the vent tube on the engine. This can happen due to several things.
It can be an over filled oil level, it can be the engine has high crankcase pressure. High crankcase pressure can be caused by wear in the cylinders, wear in the air compressor, or a faulty turbo putting exhaust down the oil drain tube.
How many miles are on the engine?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Are you there? Please don't forget to leave a positive rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 months ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.