Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.

I'm working on a c9 engine thats in a Transit bus. Makes a

Customer Question

I'm working on a c9 engine thats in a Transit bus. Makes a humming noise like a siren only when its under load. Changed all hoses on intake side changed intake manifold and still has a noise like a siren on the intake side of engine. Performed fuel and air verification tests all passed. No loss of performance and turbo boost psi all fine
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
The noise can be leaking exhaust gases on the turbo outlet side. It whistles like a person blowing across a piece of cellophane. As turbo boost increases, the pressure in the manifold builds, and the gasket/seal or cracked pipe leaks and makes the noise. Look for evidence of a minor exhaust leak. Can be anywhere between the turbo and the exhaust manifold, to the manifold gaskets. And can be on the intake manifold side. which will not show as a leak, but can be found by spraying with soap and water mixture and looking for air leak. Noise will be related to the pressures generated by the turbo!
Did you find the whistle?