Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company

I have a bobcat Jack hammer that isn't working. We have attached

Customer Question

I have a bobcat Jack hammer that isn't working. We have attached it to two different machines with same results. It feels like it is trying, but doesn't do anything.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Heavy Equipment Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: When we turn it on the hydraulic fluid level goes way down, but comes back up when we shut it off. The owner had a leaking quick coupler yesterday but tightened it up and didn't think it was a problem. Also while the hammer is turned on the arms of the machine will go up fine, but works hard to come back down.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Thats it. I think it might be air locked, but I've never had that issue before, so I don't think it would be.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Heavy Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 6 months ago.
What model number hammer do you have? and have you had the accumulator pressure checked may just need to refill with nitrogen.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3570. Have not checked that. It isn't my machine. The company I'm renting from used it yesterday without any issues other than a leaking coupler which they fixed.
They did not swap the couplers around and swap the hoses did they
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No just tightened the one that was leaking. I think it just vibrated loose
I would get that rental company to come check the nitrogen pressure in accumulator there is not much to a hammer. Have you tried cracking the line at the hammer to make sure it is getting fluid?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will give that a try. Sounds like boss man is sending it back any way
Ok let me know if I can help you anymore