Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a v1702 in a bobcat that broke a drive u-joint. The

Customer Question

i have a v1702 in a bobcat that broke a drive u-joint. The engine also had some blow-by, so as long as the motor was out to replace the joint we put new pistons, rings, honed cylinders, but it sat about 6 months apart until we got time to reassemble. before drive joint broke, engine started and ran fine, just a little bow by. Now we cannot get the engine to start, blows darker smoke, sounds like it wants to fire but wont with glow plugs or little ether.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Timothy, my name is***** will be glad to try to help. disconnect the driveshaft and try starting the engine.... It sounds like the shaft broke due to a hydraulic pump failure. Check the hydraulic filter for metal indicating a pump failure. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If the pump grenaded internally and is locked up or under extreme load it will create these symptoms on the engine.