Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.

I have a Gehl CTL 80 that is hard to start, I have to use a

Customer Question

I have a Gehl CTL 80 that is hard to start, I have to use a little starting fluid to get it going, after it starts it smokes very heavy diesel smoke until it warms up good. It runs great then and restarts with no problem and no more smoke, I was thinking leaking injectors, it has 2040 hours on engine.
JA: We'll do all we can to help. Is there anything else the Construction Equipment Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: that would be all
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Construction Equipment Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. First check the fuel supply lines between the tank and pump for restrictions and sucking in air that would cause a starvation of fuel. Check with a clear hose to see if you have air bubbles or fuel bleeding back to the tank on the suction side. This would cause a hard start from loss of fuel prime. If ok then yes faulty injectors and a worn injection pump will also cause these symptoms along with low compression if there are signs of excessive blowby. Let me know if you need more help

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hi Did you get this resolved?