Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have had this yanmar 3t841 rebuilt and as im trying to

Customer Question

I have had this yanmar 3t841 rebuilt and as im trying to start it. it seems to be letting the exhaust threw the intake. what would make it do that ?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Engie would be out of time or the starter is turning engine in wrong direction! Could battery polarity be backward?

Are the valves set properly with clearance?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How would i know if the battery was hooked up wrong to the starter ?

Positive battery terminal and red cable to starter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
let me look i may call you about this.give me one minute
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the wires seem to be right how ever it seems to be cranking backwards my diesel truck spins the other way when you crank it how would i change the way the starter cranks ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What way should it spin standing on the side of the fuel injector ?

Engine rotation is CW viewed from flywheel end.

What is engine in? Rarely you can have a posiitve ground system, most are negative ground. these days.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am NOT paying $47.00 for this...... Gave Me NO helpful information and IT SAID IT WAS GUARANTEED!!!!!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is in a old Kobelco mini excavator SK model 20 yrs old or better its spinning counter clockwise viewed from flywheel end we bent 3 pushrods Im sorry I didn't think you answered i just checked my emails i have a big contract coming up need this machine running ASAP will you be available to call Monday its Easter tomorrow
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
PLEASE REPLY

Was starter repaired or replaced? With exhaust from intake, engine appears to be cranking in wrong direction, and starter is what does that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good Morning Curtis, Happy Easter. The engine was rebuilt and yes the starter was removed and re installed but not sure what wires go where the positive battery cable and red wire are hooked you to the starter. the hot wire from the battery is black china ya know I do have a short black wire im not sure where it gos so I grounded it to the motor.

Swap cables on the starter, I doubt it will work, as the typical starter gear will not engage but in one direction, That makes me think the starter is wrong direction. This is original starter and was not replaced or repaired?

Black positive wire would go to the starter solenoid.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Curtis, I bent 3 push rods and im going to order a new starter tomorrow let me get this right if looking from the fly wheel the fan should turn to the right ? I puled this motor and had it rebuilt but the starter was the same as it was when I took it off, so now im not sure If i had it wired right, positive wire to starter and smaller red wire, but it also has a plug I think gos to the key.

Other than marine applications, where you have paired engines, CCW engines a are very rare! See the above link.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My friend you are a good man and I thank you for that. I work on all my own machines but no where as good as you. I can run them well but this one has me baffled it started to smoke bad and had many hours on it so I had the parts sent and had a shop put it together for me. Then I had the injector pump rebuild as well not wanting to have any problem's this year. the engine cranks strong and im sure it was my fault the push rods bent as I loosened them to see if it would crank any better. NOPE so today I am having new push rods and a starter sent to me. Would it be ok for me to call you when they come in for help I will be glade to pay you but I would like it to be you I talk to. I need this machine to do a dig for the forestry Dept in a few weeks so I am kind of in a push on this one. Thank you, Roy

Site charges extra for phone call, but you can request call. Call can't be international. I'm in Texas. Why not wait until you get parts and see if that takes care of it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will be happy to pay for the call our even fly you up to mo. if I can afford it, to have you make it run. other then that it is you I trust and I want to talk to you. can I ask for you ? I believe I have all the timing marks right in the engine. I would pay you a 1,000.00 cash to get you here and help me. nice house on lake good food and warm bed. bring your wife. Thank you Roy

SOunds good, but have other obligations. Have to take wife in for medical tomorrow and not sure from there, not good. Just tell me when you want call and I can make the offer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will order the parts today and get back with you when they get here. Im sorry to hear about your wife I will be praying for you both. Yes take care of your family first. Thank you, ***** ***** be calling and asking for you.

Thank you for prayers!