Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a Pr 172 power rake. The roller drum will stop

Customer Question

I have a Pr 172 power rake. The roller drum will stop turning when it gets into a little bit of a bind. It shouldn't stop unless something got wrapped solid or a large object got wedged in. Would you know what the possible problem is?
Thanks
Mark Weaver
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Mark, My name is***** will be glad to help. This happens when there is low hydraulic pressure and flow to the hydraulic motor or the motor itself is faulty bypassing pressure internally with excessive case drain. Check the hydraulic filter for signs of fine metal/debris indicating a pump or component problem. If ok inspect the relief valve cartridges for damage, debris, damaged o rings, etc. If the pressure and flow is good to the hydraulic motor, check the motor for excessive case drain pressure. Disconnect the case drain hose on the case drain port, cap the line and run a hose from the motor port to a bucket. With the motor deadheaded to prevent movement, engage the function and if the case drain is high volume or pressure, the motor is bad. Let me know