Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 2005 JD 120c track with 5,600 hrs. About a month

Customer Question

I have a 2005 JD 120c track hoe with 5,600 hrs. About a month ago the swing drives started to fail. It sloly got worse to the point of complete failure. We've replaced the swing brake disc and springs. Nothing was out of the ordinary. No metal in the fluid, all looked fine. That didn't fix the failure. After some pressure tests we though it was the pilot control assembly. We replaced that and got no change. After more pressure tests, the brake seems to disengage when any valve is open instead of just the swing drive valve. All other function on the machine are working as they're supposed to. It's just the swing drive. No brake and it doesn't turn at %100 power. We bought the hoe new and it has been serviced with JD filters and fluids at the proper intervals. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 8 months ago.

Does your swing gear have relief valves on it

does this look like your swing gear?

I found a brake down of your swing gear you might want to check the valve and the pistons. The pistons might have wear on them and not letting it produce the flow needed to move the swing gear