Bradley Martin
Bradley Martin,
Experience:  Field Technician at Thompson Tractor Company
29889544

I have a Terex 2010 PT100 forestry unit that I purchased

Customer Question

I have a Terex 2010 PT100 forestry unit that I purchased used. It seems to be only using fuel from one tank. The fuel gauge does not work, which I found the float in the bottom of the right tank and retrieved it through the filler neck. It will run out of fuel in about four hours of use under heavy load (mulcher head). It seems to take only a little more than one tank capacity to fill it. What's your thoughts? Thanks, ***** ***** ***@******.***
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 11 months ago.

Have you checked the other tank where the crossover line goes into and made sure that the hole is not plugged

Any update yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All I have done as far as troubleshooting is disconnected the fuel line from the filter that comes from the equalizer tube and blow air through it. since there is on filler cap on the left tank is hard to determine if any air goes that way. Naturally there is plenty air coming to the tank with the filler cap.

Does this model have the fuel tank on the front or metal fuel tanks on the rear?

You are probably going to have to drop the skid pan under the engine and drain the fuel from both tanks and take the crossover tube out it probably has rust or debris in it keeping the other tank from filling up

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Metal tanks on each rear corner

Those tanks are a terrible design flaw they fill up with rust if the tanks are not always full. I would drain the fuel out of both tanks and pull that crossover tube off and clean it out

New PT-100 have plastic tanks on front so terex knew they screwed up and did not want to fix the older ones

I have in the past pulled both tanks off and took them to a heavy equipment dealer and they coated the inside of the tanks and I did not have any more problems out of it

here is a picture of the tank number 16 is the crossover tube I am talking about

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm familiar with the crossover tube. In theory I would agree with your thoughts but in looking in the tank that I can see into I have not seen any rust. I have serviced the fuel filters as well and not seen anything unusual.

I would still take the plug out of the middle of the crossover tube and see if any thing comes out debris in the fuel tank will settle to the bottom and may not get picked up in the pick up tube that goes to the filter

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, I'll pursue that. Thanks for the input

Ok let me know what you find out and please rate me when you have a chance

Here is the rating tool in left hand corner

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to get at it. Other obligations.

Ok that is fine keep me updated on what you find out