Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I am replacing the joystick on a cat 216b and am having

Customer Question

I am replacing the joystick on a cat 216b and am having issues hooking the new joystick up. Needing diagram or instructions on the hydraulic hoses from the stick to the valve.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Think I have the hoses hooked up wrong
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $54 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The unit was brought in for repair because upon moving the joystick the bucket would jerk. It would hardly raise.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your serial number?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cat00216h4nz04947
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

click on this link for some troubleshooting and operational info to help. There are some diagrams as well... See PDF page 136 and you will see the color codes for the hoses.... The other side I believe is posted on another page. Let me know if you need more help

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The hoses has been changed they are no longer color coded.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Ahhh.... In that case they will have to be traced out by schematic/diagram and remarked with tags etc to identify them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok now that the hose nightmare is over.... The unit is still not functioning properly. At an idle the machine functions normally. When you give it fuel is when the problems start. When you pull back on the joystick to raise the bucket it jerks and stalls. It seems that when you barely pull back it wants to work but when you pull back as any operator would normally is when the jerking and stalling starts. This machine was first brought to the shop last year in very poor condition. It is used at a stock yard. I spent four hours steaming the unit to even be able to see it. Cow poo is very rough on equipment. Last night after getting everything hooked up and the same problem existed I took a couple more things apart and found some metal and more poo. Cleaned everything with parts cleaner and still... Jerking and stalling.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the update. What kind of metal did you find in the system and if you havent already, use a filter cutting tool and cut open the hydraulic filter to further inspect for signs of metal contamination in the system. Also, are you getting any fault and warning indicators? If so what do you have for fault codes?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Are all functions jerky? Travel and bucket or just the bucket functions?