Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a Case 40xt Skid steer. i am currently having a

Customer Question

I have a Case 40xt Skid steer. i am currently having a problem with the alternator not charging. I replaced the alternator resistor and that solved the problem for about a week, then i noticed each time i put the Lap bar down, the low voltage light would illuminate which means the alternator isnt charging. all of the hydro movements are fine and it seems that everything else is working. I can let the machine run with no alternator problems as long as the lap bar is up, but as soon as it gets put down the low voltage light comes on and wont turn off. I called the local case dealer and briefly described the problem im having. The technician there said it was probably a bad solenoid on the loader control valve. i would like to avoid bringing it to a shop if possible... any suggestions?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 9 months ago.

Have you tried ohming out the lap bar switch to see if it is open and closing right? Lap bar switch may be shorted to one charging wires causing this issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No but is that the best answer you have for the $50 I payed? Figured maybe you would shed more knowledge on the topic... Considering it took you 5 seconds to type that...

I have not ran into your problem before I am trying to help if you want me to opt out I can.