Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a cat IT28G and it will not move shifter moves back

Customer Question

I have a cat IT28G and it will not move shifter moves back and forth and no movement. When shifter is in the reverse position back up alarm does come on cheched wiring on shifter and everything seems to be working on the position of lever and gear selection.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Jerod. My name is ***** ***** is your serial number?

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

With a test light test power in and out of the shifter in all gear positions down to the transmission solenoids. If there is power in but not out to energize the solenoids you will have a faulty shift controller

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Also take a look at the transmission neutralizer circuit to be sure it is not kicking you into neutral or there is a problem there. Let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
8cr015401
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Checked at shifter at revese neutral and forward. Seemed have power there all the time till you moved the lever lost power and went to ground on different wires with different positions same as gear selector. Did not check at solenoids. Did check neutralizers seemed to be good. Also wired around to make sure
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Most common problem is the shift controller with the contacts failing inside. Test for power to the solenoids and then at the shift controller harness connector.