Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

200lc jcb excavater hydrolic tank screen filter stops up

Customer Question

200lc jcb excavater hydrolic tank screen filter stops up with paper like materal nothing showing in oil or filters
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Bradley Martin replied 10 months ago.

How many times has it done this multiple or just once?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
several

Are you using the same fluid everytime?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
everythjng isalways the same at 1st we would change filters and fluid then it would not help unless washed screen filter out never see anything in oil or any return filter just in screen over suction hose outlet in tank

are you working an attachment or just a bucket?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just bucket

Have you washed the inside of the tank out? And How it always done this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it has started this about a year ago like i said we have drained oil n washed tank 3 to 4 times makes no difference the only help is to pressure wash 4 by 6 round screen on the rod in the tank has lint like stuff in it

What filter are you changing when you change the oil?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the hydrolic filters 1 in tank an 1 outside of tank the are never stopped up or have anything in them if opened up that screen however will completly starve the pump for oil when it stops up

Let me do some research on this. This is a tough question. And sorry I keep asking you questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok is the tank pressurised , if so nothing foreign could be intering the system to be caught in screen

correct the tank is pressurized. nothing external should be getting in the tank

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
think about it , be waiting to hear

where does you machine stay parked at?

I am going to opt out and let a more experienced guy on excavators try to handle this sorry I could not help

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete model with any dashes and serial number?

Also:

1. Has there been any work on the hydraulic system on any components or has the system been opened up for any reason prior to this occurring?

2. Can you give a detailed description of this material or upload a picture using the paperclip icon above the chat box?

Just for confirmation pull, cut a sample, squeeze excess oil in a vise from the sample, and inspect the return filter in the tank to see if it made it to the return filter and if there is any fine metal like metallic glitter in the return filter.

Is it possible someone may have vandalized his machine. Not sure what in the system would produce paper unless someone used tape or something on a port and forgot about it going back together maybe? Or a filter that had come apart in the past

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi dan, tractor has had no issues before this , it is left many different places , but i dont ever see any evidence of vandelism
serial# ***** jcb js200lc using tractor now maybe tomorrow before i could pull filter
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pulled filter, cut ,squeezed oil out ,afew flakes of metal and a little black oil came onto shop towel
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Fine metal is a sign of component failure occurring. Could you upload a picture of this metal and paper material? The paperclip icon up top allows you to upload documents.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
was not enough flakes to even worry about probably produced when pump starved for oil when screen plugged however ,i believe i have found the problem , fixing , and going to try it thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted but also keep an eye on the fine metal flakes as if you continue to find them it means the pump or component is progressively getting worse. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i think its fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Please remember to rate my service as that is how the site credits me for my time helping on the site. Glad to hear you got this fixed.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if i can be of more help.