Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  worked on many road graders, Bull dozers , skid steers, Rollers
6825259

Have caterpillar 939c had to remove injection pump to fix

Customer Question

Have caterpillar 939c had to remove injection pump to fix leaking oil cooler did not know about timing for injection pump turned over several times to no start I am assuming out of time can you please tell me if I am wrong about the timing it had 3046 cat motor in it so my question how do I fix the timing and make me understand not the sharpest tool in the shed how to find Tdc please
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

you need to get the engine on TDC, both valves loose on #1 cylinder

here is a Cat book on how to do it

click here

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

To set the timing:

Put the No. 1 piston at top center on the compression stroke. (remove valve cover to make sure no. 1 is on TDC. the timing bolt (3/8 bolt) should go in the hole in the flywheel. Remove bolt from the flywheel, and use tool (A) to rotate the crankshaft clockwise (opposite the direction of engine rotation) 45°.

Remove plug (8) from the fuel injection pump housing

Install tool (1/4" bolt)(B) in the fuel injection pump housing as shown. Slowly rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise (direction of engine rotation) until the timing pin goes into the slot in the fuel injection pump camshaft.

Put the timing bolt in the timing hole in the flywheel housing. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise (as seen from the flywheel end of the engine) until the fuel pump camshaft is tight against timing pin (2). This removes gear clearance from the drive train. If the bolt can be installed in the timing hole in the flywheel, the timing of the fuel injection pump is correct.

If the timing bolt does not go into the timing hole in the flywheel, the timing is not correct. Do the steps that follow to adjust the fuel injection pump timing.

Loosen four bolts (3). With tool (B) installed and the timing bolt removed, turn the flywheel clockwise (opposite the direction of engine rotation) a minimum of 45°. The reason for this step is to remove backlash from the timing gears when the engine is put on top center (TC).

Tighten two bolts (3) 180° apart, evenly to a torque of 3 N·m (27 lb.in.).

Turn the flywheel slowly in the direction of engine rotation until the timing bolt can be installed in the flywheel. The No. 1 piston of the engine is now at top center (TC).

Tighten four bolts (3) to a torque of 55 ± 7 N·m (41 ± 5 lb.ft.). Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel and tool (B) from the fuel injection pump housing.

Turn the flywheel clockwise (opposite the direction of normal engine rotation) a minimum of 45°. Now, turn the flywheel in the direction of engine rotation until timing pin (2) drops into slot of pump camshaft. Now turn the flywheel more, in the direction of normal engine rotation, until all gear clearance is removed from the drive train. Check to see that the timing bolt will go into the flywheel.

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Just following up with you

did my answer help you

let me know ,Please

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Just a follow up

did my answer help you ??