Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a Deere 317 skid steer. It cranks up and runs 1-2

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 317 skid steer. It cranks up and runs for about 1-2 seconds and dies. Not giving any codes. I blew out the fuel lines (fuel was run low last time used), primed system but did not help. After priming it tends to runs a little longer. Not sure what to do now. Thanks.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

When priming, are you getting fuel from the tank? Check the tank outlet and the line to the first strainer, this is where any debris from tank will collect if there was trash in the tank, when it ran low. with no codes, would seen to be a supply problem and not an electrical problem with the fuel solenoid/Aneroid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am getting fuel through the primer. Got air worked out and primer gets harder. I did take the line off from the inline filter and blew into the tank. Reprimed but did not help.

Is the fuel solenoid moving the aneroid to open the fuel to the injectors when key is turned on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure. How do I know?

It is external on the engine. Locate it and watch it, I sent link showing the part.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found the aneroid but don't see what would be moving when I turn the key. Is the solenoid internal? I don't see it at all.

Solenoid should be external, and should click open with key. Do you hear any click from engine area? Solenoid is hooked the the throttle linkage to kill engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do hear it click when I turn the key.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a fuel relay?

Yes, but relay is working if solenoid clicks, Follow click to see if solenoid is moving.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I feel the solenoid clicking when the key is turned. Not sure whether I should remove it to see if it is moving.

Remove it and tie the linkage in the pulled position and see if engine will run