Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a Case 590 Super M. The fuel shut off solenoid went

Customer Question

I have a Case 590 Super M. The fuel shut off solenoid went bad, and I have ordered a replacement already. I have already removed the bolts that hole the old solenoid in place. Is there anything I need to disconnect (fuel lines, filters) in order to pull the old one out and install the new one?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Is this the external solenoid. If it is, nothing else needs to be disconnected.

If the internal solenoid, nothing else, but it will leak when removed. So have new one ready to install.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its the external with a 12 volt connection

Should be nothing else to remove, You can tie the linkage open and use the tractor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not sure if the picture helps or not

I would do nothing else, until you have the new one n hand. There have been changes in the mounting, and you may or may not need to remove the old bracket.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm just trying to remove the old one, so I can install the new one.

Do you have the new one?

All I see is a flat looking bracket.??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the new one is being delivered to me today. The old one shorted out, wires were fried, so i need to remove that one in order to install the new one.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm holding the mounting bracket, the solenoid is visible better in the picture i just sent

Like this .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
here is an image of one not installed

Should just bolt up and needs to be adjusted, so it bottoms out when engaged. If it does not bottom out , the solenoid will overheat and burn up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The machine was purchased at an auction, the previous owners zip tied the Solenoid open so it would still run. The zip ties broke, closing the Solenoid, causing it to burn up. I already disconnected everything, now I need to remove the old one, so when the new one comes in, I can mount it. The old one cannot come out freely, so I need to know if/ what needs to be moved to remove the old one.

Did you see the link I sent, showing the solenoid and bracket? I don't see anything that would keep the new solenoid from being installed. It just has two mounting bolt and the operating rod, that needs to be screwed into the clevis end. ??? Unpin the clevis and pull the solenoid out, make the clevis change and reinstall.

I will be out for about an hour, need to walk the dogs!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I saw the diagram when I was first looking up the part. What the diagram doesn't show is the fuel lines, and other parts that are around the Solenoid.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you look at the pictures I sent you, you will see what I am dealing with, in reference to trying to pull the old Solenoid out.

None of the fuel lines should have to come out. Not sure what the problem would be. Is the new solenoid look to be same as the old one? Solenoid has to be loose and not touching anything for it to work properly, so the lines and brackets should not need to be moved! Don't try to disassenble the boot and clevis, remove them with the old solenoid , reassembe the boot and clevis on new solenoid and slip through the opening. Repin the clevis end and mount the bracket.