Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Looking at a 645b owner says it has a transmission problem

Customer Question

looking at a 645b owner says it has a transmission problem when in high range it runs like low range and low range is super low. He says it does not seem to affect the power of it though. He had talked to someone a while back and they said it was some kind of valve and was a common problem
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, to be honest, I am not familiar with a 645b model. Can you give me the year and make of your car/truck as I assume it is since it is listed in car transmission category. If it isnt a car/truck, let me know so I can get it into the correct category

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is an Allis 645b pay loader

HI,

Ok, let me opt out and get this sent to the correct category for you

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is the serial number of the machine?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Either way, Check the oil condition for discoloration and burnt smell and also check the filter for signs of metal/debris indicating an internal failure occurring. If the oil is like brand new or just changed I would be leery that the owner was already trying to diagnose this or maybe the oil did show metal or discoloration and is masking the problem to sell it

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

It sounds more like a possible converter problem or slipping in the clutches or low transmission charge pressure. It would be worth having the transmission pressures checked before buying a machine with a potential converter or transmission failure.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?