Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Our Cat digger loader arrived back from site and could only

Customer Question

Hi Our Cat digger loader arrived back from site and could only go forward but not reverse. after checking the machine the gear box oil was very low, we top it up and now it dont want to go forward or back. we discover a leak at the prop at the bottom, it seems to me that the gear lever is donig nothing if we move it, it cant go back or forward. if you can help please or give me a reputable machanic in cape town.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete model numbers and serial number of your machine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is a cat 428B with the extended boom at the back i think it is a 2004 model
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Sedick, I believed the B model dates back in the 90s Is your shift linkage for forward and reverse all mechanical or is it an electrical shift controller? Check the transmission filter and oil for signs of metal/debris and discoloration of oil an burnt smell indicating an internal failure. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you right it is 1994 model and it is mechanical shift we have loose a pipe at the torch converter and found metal in the oil.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the info. If it is aluminum it is converter failure. check the filter and suction strainer to see if there is any friction material/clutches, steel, or all aluminum. Let me know as it will help determine whether you might be able to get by with a full flush, charge pump, oil cooler and converter

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?