Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a series 2 d6h which has a heating problem in the

Customer Question

Hello I have a series 2 d6h which has a heating problem in the transmission
I have resealed and put new brakes in both sides and was getting 400 psi at the test ports could it be the trans pump
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 10 months ago.

400 psi is the normal transmission pump pressure, I doubt the pump is the problem.

However, if this is the torque convertor scavenge section of the pump, you can have the convertor not draining and this excess oil can cause overheating.

Test this by checking the oil left in the convertor immediately after shutdown. You should have less than a gallon of oil in the convertor housing.

If you have more, check the hoses and vents first. Then check the scavenge section of the pump. If all of this is good, the convertor may be worn out and need rebuilding.

If you need more help on this, please include the full serial number with your reply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply
The serial number for this D6H is 4yf05584
I have checked the torque converter it only had about 2.5 litres of oil in it which sounds about rite
The machines hydraulic pump sounds to be screaming when I try to turn it and almost stalls the engine it also makes this noise when I lift the blade
Could this also cause temp in the transmission?
This is a diff steer machine
Regards Owen.

Thanks for the information.

The hydraulic pump for the blade is the same pump that operates the differential steering motor. The hydraulic oil is the supply for this fluid and not the transmission oil. This pump is loud but, if it has become more than normal, check for suction leaks and for the becoming foamy.

Are you seeing transmission temperature too high or hydraulic oil temperature too high?

Is the engine temperature too high as well?

Does it overheat in first speed too?

What type of work are you doing?

Best practices for keeping the transmission cool recommend traveling in reverse equal distances to the pushing forward to allow for cool down time of the oil. If you are constantly pushing forward and not allow for cool down time, the transmission will run hot.

Have you checked the sender or gauge?

When you say turning will stall the engine, is this at low idle or high idle?

Do the blade functions stall the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply
The oil is not getting foamy (ie) any air mixing with the oil, the temp for the hydraulic oil is not over heating, the machine will want to stall when it is high idle ( full throttle )
It does labour the engine when I operate the blade but not as much as when I try turning the machine
The engine does get up to 95 degrees Celsius that is the highest I get at the header tank with a laser heat gun
It seems to me the transmission gets hot and does drag the engine up in temperature but turning the machine seems to take longer and noisier than other diff steer d6 tractors I have driven
I do operate the machine both directions forward and reverse the same distance as I normally use it building dams
Yes it heats in first gear which is the main gear I use

Have you checked the torque convertor pressures and transmission lube pressure?

Higher than normal pressures could mean a restriction in the oil cooler lines.

Is your engine power getting weak? Fuel pressure normal?

Have you tested hydraulic pressures?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the engine seems to have plenty of power I have not checked the fuel pressure or hydraulic pressure
I did check the converter pressure I think it was around 90 psi

Is that inlet or outlet pressure? What about lube pressure?

Here is a chart for your transmission pressures.