catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a cat telehandler 1055 with 156 hrs on it, the hoses

Customer Question

I have a cat telehandler 1055 with 156 hrs on it, the hoses in the boom have become tangled in the chain and destroyed with oil running everywhere.
Upon inquiry from friend with a rental company that has these machines and in talking to the caterpillar mechanic at the dealer,I am told this is a common problem with the telehandler that are made by Jlg for Cat.
Is there any way to fix this and insure this stops happening as it is costly to take apart the boom and install all new hoses or should I cut my losses and buy a different kind of telehandler?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 10 months ago.

I have seen this happen to every model and series of telehandler CAT makes. It is not what I would call a common problem as in a constant issue but, some machines will see a repeat failure.

Your new machine is odd and CAT makes updates to their machines all the time. If you have it repaired at the dealer, they will likely make all the updates needed to fix any known issues.

This usually fails from loose parts or improperly tensioned hoses or boom chains. Abusive use and lack of service will lead to a new failure but, even then I would not expect another issue for over 5000 hours.

As far as switching brands, that should be based on having a dealer in your area. I don't know if other brands offer any large (10K or higher) with the parts and service availability of CAT. I seen a few other large machine around but, when you need to find a dealer for repairs they can be hundreds of miles away.

I would not say the JLG machines have been great but, it does well for most uses and has not had the issues the B series had with electronic problems.

They are still some of the largest machines with the shortest turn radius available.

If I can help you further please let me know.