Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

My skidsteer just keeps "cycling" or resetting when I try to

Customer Question

my skidsteer just keeps "cycling" or resetting when I try to start it. Don't know what is problem
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chuck, my name is***** is the make model and serial number of your skidsteer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 John Deere 332
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did u answer my question? I provided the make and model
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chuck, Thanks for the info and follow up. We can post back and forth as needed. When you say cycling could you explain in more detail what functions are effected? What is working and what is not working? Will it turn over but not start or not turn over at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan,
When I turn the key, all the dash lights turn on, and the fuel pump runs (cycles), and the gauges move to 100%, then back to normal. Then immediately, I hear a beep, and it starts all over again (the dash lights turn on, the fuel pumps runs and the gauges go all the way up, then back down.) It keeps doing this over and over. I tried to turn the key to the start position while it was doing this, but nothing changed. I disconnected and then reconnected the battery (trying to reset the computer) but nothing happened. Do you know what the problem is, or what I should try? thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info Chuck. That is an odd one for sure. Check to see if you have a relay that is failing causing this. When it does this listen for a relay clicking when everything resets to cycle again. also clean and inspect all your grounds and battery to starter connections. another potential cause is a faulty ECU or a problem in the harness. Let me know the results and if we need to dig deeper into this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan,
I wish you had seen this problem before so you knew what is causing it, and could provide more definitive actions I should try. I did some troubleshooting on the grounds, and tracked wiring but I didn't find anything odd. I still have the same problem. Is my next step to start change parts? (change wiring harnesses, ECU, relays) Is there anyway I can test parts to see if they are still good? thanks Chuck
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chuck for your relays just select a known good one and try swapping it out one at a time for test purposes. Always start at the battery.... test your battery with a digital tester for its internal condition for potential bad cells etc.. clean inspect and tighten all your grounds and cable connections between your batteries and starter... try a wiggle test on the harness to see if you can manipulate this problem to happen by wiggling the harness which would indicate a loose or corroded connection. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan,
I checked all the wires, and connections for anything that was loose, broken or didn't look right. I didn't find anything there, I will test the battery with my meter the next time I go out there. Is there a relay (or a way to identify a relay) that is known to be good? Can you suggest one that I grab and use as my test relay? thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chuck, Thanks for the update. Turn on the lights or use the horn and if the functions work properly and the relay is good then use one of those to swap one at a time with another function.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I know the lights work so I can use that relay as a test. Am I checking a relay or a fuse? Do the lights have a relay? (I know they have a fuse?) What am I checking to see if it is "failing" Fuel pump relay? Is there a starter relay? and ignition switch relay?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Is this a D series machine? Do you have the serial number by chance?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

D series is different from a straight 332..... Click on this link and see PDF pages 146 for the troubleshooting section and if this is a D series let me know if it will display any fault codes. I was under the impression this was a straight 332 at first.

Troubleshooting