Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have an older New Holland tractor that is a LS 35. I am

Customer Question

I have an older New Holland tractor that is a LS 35. I am now having issues with it loosing power. It is moving very slow in reverse and even forward. While I am plowing snow, after about 20 minutes, it gets worse. I have a similar John Deere mower and never had the same issue. Normally if the transmission was not operating, it usually was a belt or keyway issue on the wheel hub. Not really sure how to diagnois the repair.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the long model number? IS this hydrostat transmission or the geared transmission? You have replaced the transmission drive belt and it is tight?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hydrostat transmission, I don't have the full transmission number with me. The belt is tight.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I only see one LS35 with 15 hp engine. Shows a reservoir for hydraulic fill. Is transmission oil level up?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Was transmission low on fluid? Please accept and rate to close.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was not low on fluid. It happens when it warms up and fluid ends up in the reservoir. I just did not know if it was such an old trans that maybe it could use some friction additive or not or maybe it needs to be rebuilt
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If fluid level is correct, and gets worse as it warms, transmission is likley worn and needs repair.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the service manual.