Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I just got a 2005 cat 305 my self and a mechanic looked over

Customer Question

Hi I just got a 2005 cat 305 my self and a mechanic looked over and put is through some of its paces when I got it home and put it to work I started to notes a problem when I operate thumb / dipper arm / and tracks this will drag the engine down and stall where do I start
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VIN cat00305cdgt01289
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi Dennis. My name is***** will be glad to help. First check the fuel system and turbo. Check for restrictions or leaks sucking in air between the tank and pump, Replace the fuel filters and check for contamination or water in the old filters. If the fuel supply checks out good and the turbo then check the hydraulic filter for signs of fine metal/debris indicating a pump or component problem occurring. Also check the relief valve cartridges in the main control valve for sticking and return line restrictions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have done basics need more still dragging down engine
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update Dennis, So you have good fuel pressure and it only does this when running those particular functions. If so what did the return hydraulic filter look like when you cut it open and inspected it? Was there any fine metal or metallic glitter in the oil from the filter?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

The relief valves were free of metal, damage, and damaged o rings?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I have some schematics I can share if you do not have the manual

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not tonight I need to get some rest I have been losing sleep to much I will talk to you tomarow
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

I was signing off myself. Sounds good.