Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Bobby. I have a Bobcat B250 backhoe with the same problem as

Customer Question

Hi, Bobby. I'm Mike. I have a Bobcat B250 backhoe with the same problem as this guy. Can you see his question or should I repeat it?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Please let me know the details of your problem as the site uses some historical questions when advertising but the only way the experts can find or pull them is by the question link themselves. Also let me know the serial number of your machine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Dan. I have a Bobcat B250 backhoe (2005), used to be Earthforce before Bobcat bought them out. I am blowing the 10 amp travel fuse every time I press the go button to allow forward & backward motion. I have replaced the neutral solenoid & checked all the wiring for chafing. How do I test the solenoids in this machine? Also, there are diodes whose function I don't understand, but maybe also need to be tested.I have a multimeter & a wiring schematic. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update Mike, The diodes are one way check valves for current in the circuit and are likely tied in with the relays in some way. I would have to review the actual schematic to be able to tell you what each ones function is. If the fuse is blowing then either you have a short in the harness or one of the solenoids. For test purposes you can first inspect the harness for any bare/shorted wiring in any cable clamps, connectors, etc. If ok then try disconnecting the solenoid to see if the fuse still blows. For test purposes you can install a breaker rated for the same amperage to save on fuses. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do you test for a short in a solenoid? I have replaced the neutral solenoid with a new one from Bobcat. There is also a brake solenoid which I pulled out today. I have looked very carefully for shorts & found none.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update. I do not have the resistance readings from a new coil vs old but you can compare OHM readings between the new coil and the old, then the terminal to grounds on each to get a base reading. Then compare that to the other coils. Also with one coil disconnected with a breaker installed, try connecting it if it will not trip the breaker while disconnected. This will likely be the shorted coil. To confirm, connect the harness and see if it trips the breaker.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When troubleshooting this problem, I disconnected the neutral solenoid. The fuse die not blow. When I reconnect that solenoid, the fuse blows. I replaced the solenoid & the results are the same. The new solenoid & the original brake solenoid read about 7 ohms across their terminals. The original neutral solenoid reads zero, so that is probably bad. Still, after plugging in the new neutral solenoid the fuse blows. It seems like a chafed wire, but I have looked everywhere & cannot find it. Do you have access to the wiring diagram for this machine?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info. I do not have the schematics for this model but did find some manuals for between 50-75 for you. Here are the links below.

http://www.autoepc.com/index.html?q=10&gc=4316&sha=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOBCAT-B250-B-SERIES-LOADER-BACKHOE-SERVICE-MANUAL-S-N-572211001-ABOVE-/151670276128

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mike, did you get this resolved?