Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Cat 257B skidsteer is at issue.
, bucket tilt cylinders

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there. Cat 257B skidsteer is at issue.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: bucket tilt cylinders are drifting down. swapped out the control valve and joystick but no change. cylinders appear not bot be leaking at performed tested in both directions on each each cylinder individually.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: diverter valve seems to be working freely without binding...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. I see you already checked the cylinders and controls. Remove the reliefs from the main control valve to check for debris/damaged o rings, or other damage casing them to stick open. It is likely you will find a problem in the main control valve. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Dan,The main control valve has been replaced with a new cat unit. When removing lines for testing the tilt cylinders we noticed some mangled o-ring material drop out.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. It is possible some of those peices are lodged in the valves causing them to stick open. I would check the valves for debris.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Also since this material was found in the cylinders it is possible that it damaged the seals in the cylinder or caused some scoring in the barrel creating a bypass in the cylinder. I recommend having the cylinders resealed an inspected internally for damage. That could be a part of a cylinder seal if it did not come from the control valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tested each cylinder individually with full machine hydraulic power and there was no by pass. Could there be something up with the diverter valve? although the magnetic actuator is free, (we had to clean up some corrosion) and the internal plunger appears to be moving freely as well, are there some other pressure or relief valves on the diverter that could be causing this issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Click on this link and let me know if this helps with your troubleshooting. I have the electrical schematic too if you need it.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?