catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

This CAT D6M I have clonks between forward n reverse gears,

Customer Question

Hi there, this CAT D6M I have clonks between forward n reverse gears, its second hand and done it since I got it, not so much if you have your foot on the brake when changing though, a warn part I'm guessing ? Thanks
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 11 months ago.

Most likely you need to perform the shift fill calibration. This should be performed whenever harsh shifting is felt or repairs have been made to the transmission control valves.

You will need the 4C8195 service tool and the manual to follow. This can be done quickly and easily with the tool. No PC is needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** I perform this task, what's the service tool in question.
Thanks

The 4C8195 service tool is available form your dealer. This is a control box that connects under the dash next to the service connector for ET.

You use this box to switch the transmission ECM in the service calibrations to perform the procedure.

You should also calibrate the shifter while in this same mode.

You can also see the details for the setup of the machine for this test and if any fault codes might be causing the problem.

That is why I recommend the manual. You will have full details of the test and how to troubleshoot any fault codes that are present.

It is fairly simple once you have the information to check and service this machine. One of the better items about the M series tractor.

The manual is too large for me to post here.
You at least need the transmission section. Some dealers may sell it separately but, many will need to order the whole manual. It is expensive but, much cheaper than a service call.

Here is the book information.

Testing and Adjusting
561N, 572R and 572R Series II Pipelayers and D10R, D11R, D5M, D5N, D6M, D6N, D6R, D6R Series II, D7R, D7R Series II and D8R Series II Track-Type Tractors - Power Train Electronic Control System
Media Number -SENR8367-19 Publication Date -01/09/2015 Date Updated -10/09/2015

Please let me know if I can help you with this further.

You cannot do to much without the 4C8195 tool.

Some information can be retrieved from the dash but, the tool is need to perform the calibrations and clear the codes.

The last time I checked, the tool was still under $200 from the dealer.

Attached is part of the manual for the test. It includes a way to fabricate your own box at the beginning and Sub-mode 40 is the procedure to calibrate at the end of the document.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, ok thanks very much, have emailed a Finnings dealership in Punta Arenas, Chile to see if they have any as they are the closest to me.

Glad to help.

If you find a different problem, feel free to ask for me again. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi there, cheapest tool I could find was from the UK at £456. Will have a other look on eBay before ordering, thanks. The ether light has came on in the cab, is this just due to it being low? Our coldest weather here is about -10 plus only used in the summer season so not an issue if just low, thanks in advance

That light is not ether but is an inlet heater. (Never use ether with inlet heaters!) It should be automatically controlled and does come on at lower temperatures. If it stays on once the engine is warm, repair is needed. Normally, it is only on for a few minutes after startup.

You can reference this document and build you own tool much cheaper if you would prefer.

http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equipment/4rvnk-wiring-harness-ecm-the-cat-moves-but-steering-brake-light.html

Also search Google images for 4C-8195 CAT service tool for more images.