Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Curt
, I have a Gehl CTL85 (takeuchi TL250) that I am

Customer Question

Customer: Curt Maurer
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Gehl CTL85 (takeuchi TL250) that I am having intermittent auxiliary problems. The hydraulics will work for a bit then quit, if I raise the lap bar then lower it back down they will work for a bit longer. The problem is only with the auxiliary, all other hydraulics work as they should.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $54) to post your type of question to Heavy Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** is your machine serial number?

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Check all your interlock safety switches and harness for damage and also the relays under the seat near your feet. Let me know

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, did you get this resolved?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not solved yet.. sorry haven't had access to a computer for a bit. I'm not in front of the machine at the moment so ill have to double check the serial.. From my memory its 22500007x
I have checked the lap bar switch, it is working correctly, it appears that the machine does not have a seat switch, even though the manual shows it should. Have started checking wires.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info. Click on this link for the parts manual to help in component location and ID. Check your fuses, harness, connector pins, and relays. If ok check the solenoids for power and the control valve switches as well for continuity in the open and closed positions.

Parts

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced 2 relays with new ones, it made no difference. What solenoids is it that I should check? It seems to work better when the machine is cold and as it warms up the auxiliary will work for a few seconds then Ill have to raise the lap bar, sometimes the lift arm has to be all the way lowered as well to get them working again.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update. Click on this link and run through the operational checks covered on PDF pages58-65, 83, and 166.

Operation

Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Check the harness from the joysticks for damaged wiring and connector pins causing a loose connection and open circuit. It is possible the harness from the joystick has rubbed through or you have a faulty switch in the joystick handle itself. Check for continuity of the harness and switches.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found wiring that has been melted together on the muffler, it is the 2 wires that run back to the solenoid, there was 0 resistance between the two poles on the plug, now that I pulled the melted wires apart there is 17ohms from the black wire to the yellow. The coil also looks to be bad, there is 0 resistance between the two poles.5-1-3 (###) ###-####
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the update Curt. Replace the solenoid and either repair the harness if it is not so bad that you can run some new wire one wire at a time or if you prefer, replace the harness with new. I personally would run some new wire at the very least with the bad solenoid and then see if your problem resolves.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I removed the 1 way solenoid and repaired the short in the wiring and the aux hydraulics still act the same. The problem must be somewhere else?