Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a Volvo L70C. If you try to start the machine after

Customer Question

I have a Volvo L70C. If you try to start the machine after it has been operated for a while the machine will try to start, but acts as if the hydraulics are loaded down and the engine cannot start, if you hold any of the hydraulic controls(like bucket lift) while starting it will start and operate just fine until you shut down again. it will not do this if the machine has been sitting for an hour or so.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 11 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** like the pumps are not destroking. Either a problem with one of the pumps or the l/s signal is blocked. Try this , disconnect the ls/ signal line to the pumps and see if it will start right away. you will need a 17 mm wrench and remove the panel by the steps to access the line. If the machine starts right up, then possible clogged restriction on ls drain. if problem persist i would look at the pump compensators or even the swashplates in the pumps for sticking.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I disconnected the ls line from the pumps and the machine did start right away, but I'm not sure how the system is supposed to work. I teed a gauge into the ls line and with the machine not running it reads 0. When I am able to start the machine it climbs to around 2000psi and stays there unless I move the hydraulics then it will dip and come back. so it appears that the engine will start if it can get enough rpms before the ls pressure rises. My question now is what would cause the ls pressure to rise and stay at 2000psi? the ls line comes out of what Volvo calls the central valve, do you think there may be a problem there?

okay so you have an ls issue and what i would do is now isolate the steering and mcv l/s lines. Let me try and find some pics to assist you. Ill get back tonight on the road

here is a pic of the ls line and locations. I would isolate the components signal lines and then the central valve would be next. There is a l/s check valve in there and sinceits too old for online info i will try to locate a manual breaking down the valve tomorrow.

one more